Monday, February 20, 2012

940 Saturdays

"There are only 940 Saturdays between a child's birth and her leaving for college."  This from the "Savor the Moments" article by Dr. Harley A. Rotbart in the March 2012 issue of Parents magazine really got my attention.  940 Saturdays.  That number seems so small to me.  940 chances to make memories.  940 days to revel in childhood.

Finn was born on a Saturday.  October 30, 2010.  The best Saturday of all Saturdays.  Together we experienced 9 Saturdays, including his birth day, in 2010 and 53 Saturdays in 2011.  We are already 7 Saturdays into 2012 for a total of 69 Saturdays with our little boy.  69.  That seems like close to 100 to me which seems painfully close to 940.  I can't help but wonder if we've made the best of those 69 so far.

I'm struck by what seems like a crazy idea.  What if I make a list of 940 things, ideas, activities, etc. to do on Saturdays before Finn goes to college?  Is that insane?  Some will be huge like stare down into the Grand Canyon.  Others will be routine like play a soccer game.  Most will be considered mundane like smelling flowers or lying in the grass and staring up at the clouds.  Isn't childhood composed of the mundane which seen through little eyes then becomes extraordinary?

In full disclosure, I have not actually counted out how many Saturdays there are between Finn's birth and going to college in the expected time frame of August 2029.  I will also have to double up some days since we are already 69 Saturdays into this.  The exact number is not what is important.

3 comments:

  1. I love this....and 940 is an entirely tiny number in my eyes...I want there to be a million Saturday's to enjoy my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that phrase 940 Saturdays in Readers Digest. I thought I would Google it and found your blog. I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a small number. I don't have children but it makes me sad to think i miss most of my nieces Saturdays and so many of my sisters.

    ReplyDelete